- This event has passed.
Mental Health First Aid – Medicine Hat
December 4, 2018 - December 5, 2018
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) certification course being offered by Listrom Training and Consulting in Medicine Hat, Alberta on December 4th & 5th, 2018.
MHFA is a nationally recognized two-day workshop involving twelve hours of instruction. To obtain certification through the Mental Health Commission of Canada, participants must attend all 12 hours.
The topics covered in this workshop include:
- Substance-Related disorders – Including Crisis Response for an overdose.
- Mood-Related disorders – Including Crisis Response for suicidal behaviour.
- Anxiety and Trauma-Related disorders – Including Crisis Response for a panic attack & Crisis Response for acute stress reaction.
- Psychotic disorders – Including Crisis Response for a psychotic episode.
MHFA is the help provided to a person developing a mental health problem, experiencing the worsening of an existing mental health problem or in a mental health crisis. Just like physical first aid is provided until medical treatment can be obtained, MHFA is given until appropriate support is found or until the crisis is resolved.
For the workplace, MHFA is a foundational component of any Psychological Health and Safety program. According to the Mental Health Commission of Canada, 20% of all sick leaves are related to mental health. The Great-West Life Assurance Company reports that 30% of all disability claims are related to mental health, and further, that depression is a secondary diagnosis in 75% of long term disability claims. Employers who set a strategic direction for improving mental health in the workplace benefit greatly, and are rewarded with significant improvements in:
- Productivity: Psychologically healthy employees work efficiently;
- Cost Savings due to Disability and Absenteeism: There is a strong link between mental health, physical well-being and injury prevention;
- Operational Success: Mentally healthy workplaces are characterized by higher levels of employee motivation, commitment, innovation and creativity, as well as fewer errors, better decision making and improved planning;
- Recruitment and Retention: Today’s employees are looking for a workplace that supports their personal and professional growth;
- Conflict Reduction: Better mental health among employees means fewer grievances and complaints, and a stronger corporate reputation.
The cost of attending this MHFA workshop is $250.00 + 5% GST per participant, and the course capacity is 25 participants.
Full payment of the course fee is due 14 days before the course begins. Fees may by paid by cheque or by electronic money transfer (security question answer: mhfirstaid). If mailing a cheque, please include the original Registration Form so payments can be tracked. Please make cheques payable to Carissa Listrom.
For additional information regarding MHFA and other course dates/locations, please contact us by email or phone, or visit http://listromtrainingandconsulting.com.
Carissa Listrom B.Ed. CES.
Certified Mental Health First Aid Instructor
Heart & Stroke Basic Life Support Instructor