Frequently Asked Questions: Annual Registration Renewal

(For a PDF version, click here)

The Health Professions Act (HPA) requires you to renew your registration every year. Every member of the College must complete the annual registration renewal in order to:

  • Continue practicing in Alberta (full and temporary practice permits)
  • Continue non-practicing associate status

Some members choose to change their registration type (full to associate or associate to full) effective January 1 of the upcoming new year.

You can complete your renewal process through the online annual registration system from October 1 until December 1, 2017. Renewing your membership involves answering questions about your employment status, areas of practice, education, declaring compliance with registration requirements and paying an annual registration fee.

It is your responsibility to ensure you complete your annual registration renewal each year.


  • You need your login information to access the ‘My Profile’ section of the College website.
  • Upon completing your online renewal, the College will review it for completeness and then email to notify you of your access to your 2018 practice permit and receipt. You will receive your email notification as soon as possible within two business days of completing renewal.
  • Enhanced practice or additional authorization renewals must be renewed separately. Download the form from the College website, have it signed by your supervisor and ensure that it is emailed, faxed or mailed to the College by December 1, 2017.
  • 2018 practice permit can be saved on your smart device or printed so you have it ready for display as needed at all times.

The section 37(5)(b) of the Health Professions Act states that  regulated members must on request, make their practice permits available for inspection any  time they are providing professional services. Please remember to print or save it for display on your personal smart device.

What is the process to complete my registration renewal online?

An email will be sent at the end of September reminding you of the renewal season. Online renewal will be available starting October 1, 2017. Go to the College website and click on ‘My Profile.’ Login with your user ID and case sensitive password to complete your online renewal in five easy steps!

You will have the option of paying online or mailing a cheque or money order to the College. If you choose to mail your payment, please remember that your renewal is not complete until your payment has been received by the College.

Preparation Checklist

Before going online, please have the following items ready:

  • User ID and case sensitive password to login through the College website
  • Practice Hours for 2017 – Locate your most recent 2017 paystub(s) from all employers and determine  the number of practice hours you have worked so far in 2017. Add the number of hours you expect to work until December 31, 2017. Exclude vacation and sick-time hours.
  • Current employer’s information.
  • Payment Information – If paying fees by VISA or MasterCard, have the credit card number ready.

What is the deadline for completing my renewal?

The deadline for completing the annual registration renewal and submitting all applicable fees is December 1, 2017. The renewal system automatically charges an additional $150 administration fee to all renewals received from December 1 to 31, 2017. The renewal system closes at midnight on December 31, 2017.

What happens if I do not complete my renewal?

  • Registrants who do not complete their online registration renewal process and pay the fees by December 1, 2017 will be receive a notice of suspension, reminding them to meet the mandatory requirements by December 31, 2017.
  • If a registrant has not completed the renewal process and paid the fees by December 31, 2017 the individual’s registration with the College will be suspended without further notice.
  • Registrants without a valid full or temporary practice permit are not authorized to use the title ‘MRT’ or ‘ENP’ or work in the profession as per Section 43 of the HPA. Practicing while one’s registration is cancelled is a serious offence and subject to disciplinary action. If your registration has been cancelled stop practicing immediately. You may only resume practice after the College confirms that your practice permit has been reinstated.
  • Anyone whose registration has been cancelled because of their failure to complete the renewal process will have to meet the requirements for reinstatement, pay appropriate fees and complete the Regulation Education Module (REM) if they wish to resume practice in Alberta.
  • Members holding an associate permit are not permitted to practice the profession in Alberta.

I’ve forgotten or misplaced my login information for the ‘My Profile’ section of the College website.  What should I do?

Your login information consists of your user ID and a unique case sensitive password. Your ACMDTT registration number is your user ID. If you have forgotten your password, go to the College website and click on ‘My Profile’. Select ‘Request Password’ (upper right corner), provide the required information and your password will be emailed to you at the email address you have provided to the College.

Note: While a user ID establishes the identity of the user for the computer or system, the password’s function is to prove to the system that you are who you say you are. The College encourages you to change your assigned password to something memorable and unique to you, ensure its privacy and refresh it often.

What do I need to know about the professional liability insurance declaration?

College regulations stipulate that all practicing registrants are required to have professional liability insurance (PLI) coverage in the minimum amount of $1,000,000 per occurrence.

You will be asked to indicate that you meet the PLI requirements through a declaration on the last screen of the online renewal system. This means that you must have PLI for 2017 before you complete the renewal process.

As in previous years, PLI can be sourced from one or more of the following:

  • Personal insurance:
    • CAMRT membership
  • Employer’s insurance:
    • Employment by Alberta Health Services
    • Employment at an independent facility that may provide required coverage

The College encourages you to  hold personal PLI (even when you do meet the regulatory PLI requirement through your employer’s PLI Policy) because:

  • All activities you perform may not be covered by your employer’s insurance policy
  • Employer policies do not cover expenses such as legal defense in professional disciplinary matters
  • Employer’s insurance company may sue you for reimbursement of any money they paid out as a result of your actions


  • CAMRT membership can be renewed directly through the CAMRT by clicking here or calling 1.800.463.9729, ext 225. You will also be able to choose a link to the CAMRT website embedded in the College’s renewal system (prior to reaching the declaration screen).
  • The College is required to ensure that members are compliant with the Regulation. Every year the College conducts a random audit requiring members to provide evidence of their PLI.

Do I need to update my profile every year?

Yes, please review all your information on your profile for accuracy, even if you think there have been no changes. This information you provide during this annual registration process is critical to supporting an integrated healthcare delivery system across Canada.

Is my personal and credit card information secured?

The College protects your privacy by undertaking rigorous confidentiality and information security measures (including physical, electronic and procedural measures) to help safeguard your personal information from unauthorized access and disclosure. Web services for online payment must go through an extensive approval process before it can process credit cards. In addition, all personal and credit card information is encrypted as it is processed.

What if I don’t want to pay online?

You are still required to complete steps one to four of the online renewal process and provide payment by December 1, 2017. When you reach step five (payment section) you must call the College to provide your credit card information verbally or mail a cheque or money order. Your renewal status will remain pending until your payment has been received by the College. Staff will complete step five of your renewal process upon receiving your fees at the College.

What are my registration options?

Full or Temporary Practice Permit
  • January 1 – June 30, 2018 – $450
  • July 1 – December 31, 2018 – $225 (pro-rated fee)
Associate Fee
  • January 1 – December 31, 2018 – $100
Status Changes

Associate to Full

  • January 1 – June 30, 2018 – $350
  • July 1 – December 31, 2018 – $125

Full to Associate

  • January 1 – June 30, 2018 – $225 refund
  • July 1 – December 31, 2018 – No fee


  • January 1 – June 30, 2018 – $225 refund
  • July 1 – December 31, 2018 – No fee, but must provide documentation of your resignation before December 1, 2018

Note:  The online renewal system allows you to renew only your current registration. In order to make any changes to your current registration (for 2017 or 2018) you are required to contact the College for assistance. Depending on your situation, the College will adjust your record to enable your renewal online.

I am considering Associate status.  What do I need to know?

Registrants continuing to reside in the province may choose to stop work for a period of time due to a variety of reasons such as parental leave, sabbaticals, illness or taking care of a loved one. If you are considering changing to a non-practicing associate status please consider:

  • Associates are not allowed to practice any aspect of the profession in Alberta or use protected professional titles ‘MRT’ or ‘ENP.’ Practice involves not only the clinical and technical aspects of the profession, but also includes, and is not limited to, functions of education, management, research and administration.
  • Registrants that apply to change to an associate status from January 1 to June 30, 2018 are eligible for a $225 refund. The renewal fee for associate status is $100.
  • When you reinstate your practice permit in the future you will be required to meet the practice hour requirement. This means that you will be required to have 800 hours of professional practice in the five-year window previous to the date your application to reinstate is received at the College.
  • Associates are not required to meet continuing competence requirements. If you were selected before you changed your status to an associate to participate in a continuing competence audit and have not yet met your audit requirements, you will be required to do so at the time you apply to reinstate your practice permit.

It is a good idea to contact the College with questions specific to your situation so you can take the decision best suited to your plans.

I do not intend to practice in 2018.  How should I manage my renewal?

If you currently have a non-practicing associate status you may choose to renew this status through the online registration renewal system starting October 1, 2017. An online renewal guide is available on the College website’s home page. This guide provides instructions on how to complete your online renewal in five easy steps.

If you are a registrant with a full practice permit, you may choose to change to associate status or resign effective January 1, 2018 by sending the College a completed Registration Status Change Application Leaving Practice form or contact the College at 780.487.6130 extension 228 for assistance.


  • Full members who choose to resign from January 1 to June 30, 2018 are eligible for a $225 refund.
  • To reinstate your practice permit in the future you will have to meet all registration requirements (including completing the REM) and paying applicable fees.

If you plan to practice in another province, you must request the College to send a certificate of your professional standing to your new provincial regulator or association before you resign from the College. There is no fee for this service.

I am working only a portion of the registration year and I’m still not sure of my registration options. What should I do?

College staff is glad to assist you in identifying the best renewal option best suited to your unique circumstances. You can call the College at 780.487.6130 ext 228 or 1.800.282.2165 or by email at for further assistance.

What is the currency of practice hours requirement and how does it apply to me?

Registrants of the College with a full practice permit are required to maintain a minimum of 800 practice hours in their primary area of practice in the previous five years. Registrants who have a secondary area of practice must maintain a minimum of 160 hours in their secondary area of practice in the previous five years.

To determine eligibility for a practice permit in 2018, the College is required to review practice hours reported for the years 2013 through 2017.

Note:  The practice of MRTs and ENPs may encompass both direct clinical practice and/or functions of education, management, research, administration and supervision of regulated members who provide professional services to the public. Supervision is defined to include but not limited to one or more of the following:

  • The individual has authority to hire or dismiss the regulated member.
  • The individual oversees or contributes to the evaluation or review of the regulated member’s performance.
  • The individual is responsible for assigning work and setting priorities for the regulated member.
  • The regulated member reports to the individual.
  • The individual is responsible for providing training and ongoing education to the regulated member.
  • The individual impacts the practice of the profession for which they are regulated, or contributes to the promotion and protection of patient safety through policy development and implementation in their employment.

You cannot claim hours related to vacation, sick time, leave of absence or any other paid/unpaid non-work hours. Practice hours may be claimed from anywhere in the world.

Registrants who do not have the required 800 practice hours at renewal time must contact the College as soon as possible for further guidance.

How do I report my practice hours?

You will be required to self-declare your practice hours. The system will track your hours and will confirm whether you continue to meet the currency of practice hours criteria. As a self-regulated professional, you are accountable for reporting your practice hours accurately.

 Note:  The College is required to ensure that members are compliant with the Regulation. Every year, the College conducts a random audit requiring members to submit supervisor/employer verified hours which will be compared to the hours declared during the online renewal process.

How do I change my last name on the College registrar?

Indicate your new last name through the profile tab of the online renewal system and email, fax or mail a document authenticating your new name to the College. Please remember to complete your renewal as soon as possible before December 1, 2017. Do not wait for the College to process your name change request.

Name change documents can be a copy of your marriage certificate, birth certificate, a driver’s licence with desired name or change of name certificate issued under the Change of Name Act. You may attach a copy of a current Canadian passport, a Canadian immigration record and visa, record of landing or a note seeking an exception due to extenuating circumstances if you do not have any of these records.

Once the College is satisfied that you have validly changed your name, your name will be updated on the College register and you will receive an email notification from the College allowing you to access your online permit in your new name. You must practice in the name on the College register at all times.

I have an enhanced practice and/or additional authorization.  How does that impact my renewal?

If you are renewing as a full practicing member and do not want to renew any of your current authorizations, please write to the College by email, fax or mail to remove this requirement from your renewal.

If you are renewing as a full practicing member and want to renew your current enhanced practice or additional authorization, please email or fax a completed Additional and Enhanced Practice Authorizations Application in order to renew your authorization(s). Please remember that your renewal is not completed until this form is received by the College. You will know that the College has received your completed form and that your renewal has been completed when you receive the College’s email to notify you of your access to your 2018 practice permit and receipt.

Note:  Associates are not allowed to use the protected professional titles ‘MRT’ or ‘ENP’ and practice any aspect of the profession; therefore their permits cannot be issued an enhanced practice or additional authorization. If you are renewing or changing from associate to full status, you need to apply for enhanced practice and/or additional authorization at the time you reinstate your practice permit.

How do I contact the College with renewal related concerns?

If you have any renewal related questions or concerns, please contact the College at 780.487.6130 or 1.800.282.2165, or by email at