Full Registration

This information is for Alberta and Canadian trained and Canadian certified applicants who are planning to work as a technologist or therapist in Alberta.

Medical Radiation Technologists and Electroneurophysiology Technologists are governed by the Health Professions Act of Alberta.  As per this legislation, you are required by law to be registered and hold a valid practice permit with the Alberta College of Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists in order to legally practice within the designated specialty.  You are required to have an active practice permit prior to your employment start date.

Registration requirements include the following:

  1. Verification of successful completion of an approved program of study in the specific specialty you are applying.
  2. Verification of successful completion of the approved entry examination.  As a technologist, this information is shown through verification forms received from your provincial regulatory bodies or associations.
  3. Completion of a general registration application and payment of appropriate fees.
  4. Completion of the Regulation Education Module. Click here
  5. Completion of the currency of practice hours form.  This must be submitted along with the application for registration form.
    • Applicants applying for only one specialty general register must have completed at least 800 working hours of practice in the appropriate area of practice within five years immediately preceding the date the registrar receives a complete application
    • Applicants applying for registration on more than one general register must meet the above criteria of having completed at least 800 working hours of practice within the previous five years with respect to the applicant’s primary and main area of practice and must have completed at least 160 working hours in the secondary area of practice within the previous five years
  6. Participation in the Continuing Competence Program (CCP) requirements are mandatory for all registered individuals for the months the individual holds a full active or temporary practice permit.

If you would like to find out more information about the CCP program, please refer to the Continuing Competence section.


Application Forms and Guide Sheets