Temporary Practice Registration

This information is for new graduate technologists or therapists who have successfully completed an approved program in Alberta or other Canadian province or territory but have not successfully completed the approved entry examination requirement.

A new graduate on a temporary practice permit must practice under the supervision of a regulated member who:

  • practices in the same area of practice as the person registered in the temporary register, and
  • is physically present and available to assist the person with performing of the restricted activity as needed.

As per this legislation, you are required by law to be registered and hold a valid practice permit with the Alberta College of Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists in order to legally practice within the designated specialty. You are required to have a active practice permit prior to your employment start date.

Registration requirements include the following:

  1. Verification of successful completion of an approved program of study in the specific specialty in which you are applying.  This verification must include the official completion date of your program.
  2. Completion of an temporary practice application and payment of appropriate fees.
  3. Completion of the Regulation Education Module. Click here 

Additional and Enhanced Practice Authorizations

For applicants wishing to receive authorization on their practice permit to perform venipuncture, breast ultrasound, needle authorization, intraoperative monitoring, CT and  contrast media and/or Ictal SPECT Injection. Click here for more information

Application Forms and Guide Sheets