Alberta College of Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists

Temporary Registration

Recent graduates who have successfully completed a College-approved educational program but have not successfully completed the approved entry-to-practice examination (CAMRT or CBRET) can practice the profession. A temporary practice permit allows these graduates to work in the interim.

The College is committed to being transparent, objective, impartial and procedurally fair in our application process. Please see the Additional Registration Information document for more information, or watch our webinar on YouTube (below) that explains the process.

Please note that you must complete your educational program and obtain employment before applying for temporary registration. Applications cannot be started early.

Steps required for temporary registration:

  1. If you are not currently registered as a student member and have completed your educational program, register for an account for our online member portal, also known as My Profile. If you are a currently a student member of the College and have completed your educational program, use your existing My Profile account.
  2. Log in to your account and select “Apply” in the box on your home screen to begin your application.
  3. Complete all sections of the application. Please complete the steps in order as certain selections populate information in subsequent steps.
    1. Select “Temporary” from the “Application stream” dropdown menu.
    2. Enter your personal information.
    3. Select the specialty(ies) you are applying for.
    4. Add your education information and upload evidence of successful completion of an approved program of study. This evidence can be a diploma, degree, official transcript, or letter of program completion from the post-secondary institution.
    5. Add your expected future employment information.
      1. Add your future primary supervisor contact information. The primary supervisor coordinates supervision received on a worksite and is responsible for ensuring that the temporary practice permit holder is always under the supervision of a regulated member who: 1) practices in the same specialty and 2) is physically present, within audible distance and immediately available to assist the applicant with performing the restricted activity, as needed.
    6. Select your professional liability insurance (PLI) provider and enter your policy number.
    7. Declare that you will provide a criminal record check (see Step 4 for instructions on how to complete the criminal record check).
    8. Declare that you have completed the Regulation Education Module (REM) and upload proof of completion (see Step 5 for instructions on how to complete the REM).
    9. Declare that you hold the required PLI.
    10. Answer the questions about your registration and conduct.
    11. Complete the declaration of compliance.
  4. Submit your criminal record check through Sterling Backcheck using the College’s landing page. The fee for this service is $29, paid directly to Sterling Backcheck through their secure online payment gateway.
  5. Complete the Regulation Education Module (REM).
    1. Access the REM through the Skilsure portal, also known as My CCP, using the login information provided on your application, and save the certificate that is generated upon completion.
    2. Upload your REM certificate to the REM section of your application by returning to the form in My Profile through the link on your home page.
  6. Verify the information you entered in your application and submit it.
  7. Pay the $100 application fee.
  8. Receive notification from the College on the next steps.
  9. Complete any remaining requirements for registration.
  10. Pay the registration fee. The initial registration fee is $450 from January 1 to June 30 and $225 from July 1 to December 31.
  11. Allow for three business days from the time you submit a complete application for the form to be processed – this is especially important around periods of graduation when the College receives a high number of applications in a short period of time. Applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received.
  12. Receive confirmation from the College that you are registered.
  13. Once you are registered, if applicable, submit an application for additional and enhanced practice authorization through My Profile.

If you are a recent graduate who has already passed your entry-to-practice examination, please follow the application process for Alberta graduates.


Members in the temporary register have limitations on their practice. They must be employed, and supervised by a regulated member in the general register who practices in the same specialty when performing restricted activities.

Where an appropriate regulated member is not available to supervise a temporary member, the temporary member may seek approval from the College to receive supervision by a supervisor who

  1. is a regulated healthcare professional, and
  2. is authorized by their regulatory body to perform the restricted activity that is being supervised.

A supervising regulated healthcare professional is required to provide indirect supervision to the temporary member. Indirect supervision means that the supervising regulated member must remain available for immediate physical assistance while the temporary member is performing the restricted activity. Availability by electronic devices is not acceptable.

Regulated members are to restrict themselves to performing only those restricted activities that they are competent to perform and that are appropriate to their areas of practice and the procedures being performed.

Please note that members who hold temporary registration cannot supervise students.

If you have any questions about temporary registration, please feel welcome to contact the College by email at or by phone at 780.487.6130 or 1.800.282.2165.

Scroll to top