“Non-Practicing Associate” Status

This information is for technologists and therapists who are on leave of absence from their current employer(s) and will not be practicing during the time the leave of absence is in effect. This information is also for applicants who want to remain a member of the College in a non-practicing category.

If you are considering switching to a “Non-Practicing Associate” status, please consider:

• Associates are not allowed to practice any aspect of the profession, nor may they use protected professional titles. Practice involves not only the clinical and technical aspects of the profession, but also functions of education, management, research and administration.

• When you reinstate your practice permit in the future you will be required to meet the “currency of practice hours” requirement. This means that you will be required to have 800 hours of professional practice in the five-year window prior to the date your application to reinstate is received at the College.

• As Associates are not allowed to practice any aspect of the profession, their permit cannot be issued an Enhanced Practice or Additional Authorization. If you are renewing or changing to Associate status, you will need to apply for Enhanced Practice and/or Additional Authorization at the time you reinstate your practice permit.

• Associates are not required to meet continuing competence requirements. If you have been selected to participate in a continuing competence audit and have not yet met your audit requirements, you will be required to do so at the time you apply in order to reinstate your practice permit.

As an Associate member, you will continue to receive all College publications and to have access to the member side of the website.

Submit a completed Registration Change Application – Leaving Practice form prior to the date of your last scheduled working day in your practice.

Status change applications cannot be backdated. Backdated status change applications will be processed to show the effective date of the status change as the date the application is received. Rules, regulations, fees and refunds will apply according to the effective date of the status change.

Medical Radiation Technologists and Electroneurophysiology Technologists are governed by the Health Professions Act of Alberta. As per this legislation, you are required by law to be registered and hold a valid practice permit with the Alberta College of Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists in order to legally practice within the designated specialty. You are required to have an active practice permit prior to your employment start date.

Please click here to apply for General Practice Registration.