Medical radiation technologists (MRTs) and electroneurophysiology technologists (ENPs) are governed by the Health Professions Act (HPA) in Alberta. As per this legislation, every person who practices medical radiation technology (which consists of four specialties: radiological technology, nuclear medicine technology, magnetic resonance technology and radiation therapy) or electroneurophysiology technology in Alberta must hold valid and current registration with the Alberta College of Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists (the College). The practice involves not only the clinical and technical aspects of the profession; it also includes, but is not limited to, functions of education, management, research and administration.
The College is responsible for ensuring that an individual practicing as a medical radiation technologist or electroneurophysiology technologist in Alberta is qualified to do so. Registration with the College assures the public that the technologist has met the requirements defined by the registration regulation made under the HPA.
Regulated members in the general registration category can practice all areas of the profession. While all regulated members are subject to the same requirements, the application process varies depending on your situation. There are five types of applicants for general registration:
- Alberta graduates of a College-approved educational program who have completed the entry-to-practice examination
- Canadian labour mobility applicants (MRTs who are currently registered to practice in another Canadian province where their specialty is regulated)
- Canadian non-labour mobility applicants (Canadian graduates who practice as MRTs or ENPs in an unregulated province or territory in Canada)
- Internationally educated applicants (Internationally educated applicants who seek to be registered to work in Alberta and are not registered to practice in another Canadian province or territory)
- Current (temporary or student) and former members of the College who want to apply for general registration
If you have any questions about general registration, please feel welcome to contact the College by email at email@example.com or by phone at 780.487.6130 or 1.800.282.2165.