In Alberta, medical radiation technologists (MRTs) and electroneurophysiology technologists (ENPs) are governed by the Health Professions Act (HPA). As per this legislation, every person who practices radiological technology, nuclear medicine technology, magnetic resonance technology, electroneurophysiology technology or radiation therapy in Alberta must hold valid and current registration with the Alberta College of Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists (the College).
The following steps are required for registration as an Alberta graduate:
- Complete a General Registration Application form and pay the application fee.
- Complete a criminal record check.
- Provide evidence of successful completion of an approved program of study in the specific specialty you are applying to.
- Provide evidence of successful completion of an approved entry-to-practice examination.
- Complete the Currency of Practice Hours form (new graduates are exempt from this requirement if the application is submitted within two years of graduation).
- Applicants applying for one specialty in the general register must have completed at least 800 working hours of practice in the appropriate area of practice within the five years immediately preceding the date the registrar receives a complete application.
- Applicants applying for registration in more than one specialty in the general register must meet the criteria specified in (a) above in their primary area of practice and have completed at least 160 working hours in their secondary area of practice within the five years immediately preceding the date the registrar receives a complete application.
- Provide evidence of professional liability insurance (PLI) or protection against professional liability following the requirements set out by the College (the minimum limit of liability per occurrence required is $1,000,000).
- Complete the regulation education module. Login information will be provided once an application is received by the College.
- Receive notification from the College on next steps.
- Complete any remaining requirements for registration.
- If applicable, submit an Additional and Enhanced Practice Authorization Application form signed by your supervisor.
- Pay the registration fee.
- Receive confirmation from the College that you are registered.
- Start practicing as an MRT or ENP in Alberta!
If you’re not sure which process applies to you or if you have any questions, please feel welcome to contact the College by email at email@example.com or by phone at 780.487.6130 or 1.800.282.2165.