Important notice regarding additional and enhanced practice authorization applications
Please note that as of August 3, 2020, regulated members in the general register apply for additional and enhanced practice authorizations online through My Profile (see instructions below). Individuals applying for temporary practice permits, including new graduates, will continue to apply for authorizations using a paper process until further upgrades of the member portal are rolled out later this year.
Everyone using the annual registration renewal system in the fall will be required to renew their authorizations online. Members who need to apply for a new authorization during renewal season should apply for it following the instructions below and wait for it to be approved before submitting their renewal.
The Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists Profession Regulation (the Regulation) of the Health Professions Act (HPA) outlines the restricted activities for members, which include procedures considered to be enhanced practice and those that require additional authorizations.
The following passage from the Regulation (Sections 14 through 21) outlines restricted activities and defines enhanced practice for medical diagnostic and therapeutic technologists.
Enhanced practice is when you perform restricted activities that are not primarily authorized for the area of practice in which you’re registered. An example of this would be a radiological technologist preparing or administering medication. This role requires the technologist to be authorized in restricted activities not primarily a principal expectation of practice for radiological technologists.
Additional authorizations differ from enhanced practice in that the additional competencies/restricted activities are included in the specialty’s section of the regulation and additional authorization can be achieved by a technologist upon successful completion of advanced training approved by Council.
Members seeking enhanced or additional authorization are required to complete advanced training approved by Council. When all requirements have been satisfied, the College will indicate a ‘condition of practice’ on your practice permit indicating the achievement of an enhanced practice skill set. Members granted enhanced practice are required to verify the maintenance of competence upon renewal each year.
How to apply for additional and enhanced practice authorizations
The recently upgraded member portal allows members in the general register to apply for additional and enhanced practice authorizations using a paper-free, “all online” process. Please note that individuals applying for temporary practice permits this summer, including new graduates, will continue to apply for authorizations using a paper process until further upgrades of the member portal are rolled out later this year.
- Log in to My Profile.
- Select “My profile” on the left side of the screen.
- Select “Edit profile” at the top of the page.
- In the “Additional and Enhanced Practice Authorization Application” section, select “Add” to begin your application.
- Select the specialty in which you are applying for an authorization and the authorization you are seeking. Please note that you can only apply for one authorization at a time.
- Enter information about your program completion.
- Upload the required documentation. This may include a certificate and/or skills checklist depending on the type of authorization.
- Enter your supervisor’s information. Please provide a valid email address for your supervisor as they will verify your additional and enhanced practice authorization.
- Complete the “Member Declaration” section. You must check all the boxes in this section to proceed with your application.
- If you don’t need to make any other changes to your profile, scroll to the bottom of the page and select “Submit.” Your profile will be locked until the College reviews your application.
- You will receive an email from the College when your application has been approved or if we require further information or documentation.
If you are on the temporary register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an Additional and Enhanced Practice Authorization Application form.
Enhanced practice authorizations
The following is a list of enhanced practice authorizations available to College regulated members:
The following is a list of additional authorizations available to College regulated members:
If you have any questions about additional and enhanced practice authorizations, please feel welcome to contact the College by email at email@example.com or by phone at 780.487.6130 or 1.800.282.2165.