The Health Professions Restricted Activity Regulation (the Regulation) and the Alberta College of Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists Standards of Practice outline the restricted activities for registrants which include procedures considered to be enhanced practice and those that require additional authorizations.
Standard 2.3 Restricted Activities outlines restricted activities and defines enhanced practice for medical diagnostic and therapeutic technologists.
Enhanced practice is when you perform restricted activities that are not primarily authorized for the area of practice in which you’re registered.
Additional authorizations differ from enhanced practice in that the additional competencies/restricted activities are included in the specialty’s section of the Regulation and Standards and additional authorization can be achieved by a technologist upon successful completion of advanced training approved by Council.
Registrants seeking enhanced or additional authorization are required to complete advanced training approved by Council. When all requirements have been satisfied, the additional authorization will appear on your practice permit indicating the achievement of an enhanced practice skill set. Registrants granted enhanced practice are required to verify the maintenance of competence upon renewal each year.
How to apply for Additional and Enhanced Practice Authorizations
My Profile allows registrants in the General Register to apply for Additional and Enhanced Practice Authorizations.
- Log in to My Profile.
- Select “My profile” on the left side of the screen.
- Select “Edit profile” at the top of the page.
- In the “Additional and Enhanced Practice Authorization Application” section, select “Add” to begin your application.
- Select the specialty in which you are applying for an authorization and the authorization you are seeking. Please note that you can only apply for one authorization at a time.
- Enter information about your program completion.
- Upload the required documentation. This may include a certificate and skills checklist depending on the type of authorization.
- Enter your supervisor’s information. Please provide a valid email address for your supervisor as they will verify your Additional and Enhanced Practice Authorization.
- Complete the “Member Declaration” section. You must check all the boxes in this section to proceed with your application.
- If you don’t need to make any other changes to your profile, scroll to the bottom of the page and select “Submit.” Your profile will be locked until the College reviews your application.
- You will receive an email from the College when your application has been approved or if we require further information or documentation.
Enhanced Practice Authorizations
The following is a list of enhanced practice authorizations available to College registrants:
The following is a list of additional authorizations available to College registrants:
For questions, contact the College at email@example.com or 780.487.6130 or 1.800.282.2165.