Professional liability insurance (PLI) is in place to protect both the member and the patient. By having PLI, a member is protected professionally and financially from claims (real, alleged or false) made against the member as a result of rendering professional services. The patient is protected should the claim be substantiated and damages awarded.
As per the legislation, all ACMDTT members are required to have a minimum $1,000,000 PLI per occurrence. Members must provide confirmation of PLI through their application form and annual registration renewal.
The College encourages you to hold personal PLI. This may be in addition to your employer’s insurance.
Reasons for this include:
- Employer policies do not always cover expenses such as legal defense in professional disciplinary matters.
- The employer’s insurance company may sue you for reimbursement of any money they paid out as a result of your actions.
- Your personal PLI also follows you if you work at multiple sites with more than one employer.
- When you retire or leave employment, personal PLI covers you for a period of time during which patients may still bring a claim against you.
- Your employer insurance may not cover you for any advice or volunteering you do outside of your work.
There are many sources for personal PLI including, but not limited to, CAMRT, Sonography Canada and Medical Imaging Ed. The College cannot provide PLI to its members as this would be a conflict of interest should a complaint arise.
Should you have any questions about your requirement, or would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact the College at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 780.487.6130 or 1.800.282.2165.