Non-Practicing Associate

Members who are on a leave of absence from their current employer(s) and will not be practicing during this time may apply to change their registration status to non-practicing associate. This information is also for members who want to remain a member of the College in a non-practicing category. If you don’t plan on practicing in Alberta again, you can resign your registration.

The fee for associate membership is $100, and when you reinstate your general registration, that amount is subtracted from your registration fee.

If you are considering switching to a non-practicing associate, please consider:

  • Associates are not allowed to practice any aspect of the profession, nor may they use protected professional titles. The practice involves not only the clinical and technical aspects of the profession but also functions of education, management, research and administration.
  • When you reinstate your practice permit in the future, you will be required to meet the currency of practice hours requirement. This means that you will be required to have 800 hours of professional practice in the five-year window prior to the date your application to reinstate is received at the College.
  • As associates are not allowed to practice any aspect of the profession, their permit cannot be issued an enhanced practice or additional authorization. If you are renewing or changing to associate status, you will need to apply for enhanced practice and/or additional authorization at the time you reinstate your practice permit.
  • Associates are not required to meet continuing competence requirements for the months in which they do not hold general registration. If you have been selected to participate in a continuing competence audit and have not yet met your audit requirements, you will be required to do so at the time you apply in order to reinstate your practice permit.
  • As an associate, you will continue to receive all College publications and have access to the member side of the website.

To change your registration type, submit a completed Registration Change Application form prior to the date of your last scheduled working day in your practice.

Registration change applications cannot be backdated. Backdated registration change applications will be processed to show the effective date of the change as the date the application is received. Rules, regulations, fees and refunds will apply according to the effective date of the registration change.

If you have any questions about changing your registration type, please feel welcome to contact the College by email at or by phone at 780.487.6130.

Scroll to top